Interim report, 1 January - 31 March 2009
(Figures in brackets refer to the same period of last year)
- Net sales amounted to SEK 52.2 million (36.1), an increase of SEK 16.2 million (45%) compared to the same period of last year.
- Operating profit was SEK 13.4 million (7.5), an improvement of SEK 5.9 million.
- Profit after tax was SEK 15.1 million (8.0), an increase of SEK 7.1 million.
- Profit after tax was SEK 10.4 million (8.0), an improvement of SEK 2.4 million. BioGaia pays no tax. The period's reported tax expense of SEK 4.7 million refers to a change in the deferred tax asset. Profit for the corresponding period of last year was charged with no reported income tax.
- Earnings per share were SEK 0.61 (0.47).
- The period's cash flow from operating activities before change in working capital was SEK 14.6 million (9.3). Total cash flow for the period was 7.6 million (3.5). Cash and cash equivalents at 31 March 2009 amounted to SEK 65.9 million.
Key events in the first quarter of 2009
- BioGaia's subsidiary CapAble signs agreement with Aqua Scandik for the sale of LifeTop Cap with Reuteri in Mexico.
- Study shows that BioGaia's Probiotic chewable tablets are effective in decreasing diarrhoea caused by antibiotics.
- BioGaia product launched as pharmaceutical in India.
- Agreement with Ewopharma for distribution of BioGaia's Probiotic tablets and drops in Serbia and Croatia.
No key events have taken place after the end of the reporting period.
"In spite of the ongoing financial crisis, the company has shown very positive development in the first quarter and we are seeing continued strong demand for our products" says Managing Director Peter Rothschild.
For additional information contact:
Peter Rothschild, Managing Director, telephone +46 8 - 555 293 00
Jan Annwall, Deputy Managing Director, telephone +46 8 - 555 293 00
BioGaia is a biotechnology company that develops, markets and sells probiotic products with documented health benefits. The products are primarily based on the lactic acid bacterium Lactobacillus reuteri (Reuteri), which has probiotic, health-enhancing effects. The class B share of the Parent Company BioGaia AB is quoted on the Small Cap list of the NASDAQ OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm.