July 1, 2003, LaGrange, IL—Cognis Nutrition and Health, a global leader in concept-driven solutions and natural ingredients for the food industry, will unveil a range of innovative, health-enhancing products and services at The Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting & Food Expo in Chicago beginning July 12.
“We are perhaps the industry’s best kept secret and IFT provides the perfect venue to unveil to the food world our unique range of products and services,” said David Eckert, Business Director, North America, Cognis Nutrition and Health. “IFT marks a milestone for us as we launch a new initiative to promote Cognis’ expertise in customizing solutions to help food makers decide which ingredients may work best to enhance health benefits, extend shelf life or provide improved functionality. We are eager to share with the industry how our know-how can contribute to their success based on our decades of experience as a leading supplier of natural-sourced products like vitamin E, sterols, carotenoids and more,” Eckert explained.
One product making its debut from Cognis Germany is LAMEQUICK®, a whipping agent offering many applications for desserts. “We encourage those attending IFT to visit Cognis booth # 4953 and taste the delicious samples featuring products like LAMEQUICK®, learn about our products and meet our team of experts from Europe and the United States,” said Franz Timmermann, PhD, Global Market Segment Manager, Functional Food & Medical Nutrition, Cognis Nutrition and Health. “Cognis is committed to helping food makers differentiate their products. That’s our job--from finding ingredients and technology that create recipes for better health to suggesting natural ingredients that offer a range of manufacturing and consumer-oriented benefits,” Dr. Timmermann pointed out.
Also exhibiting at the Cognis booth is the Quality Trait Analysis™ (QTA) group. Kangming Ma, PhD, will discuss data and information QTA offers the food industry to better control processes for ingredients and raw materials and improve profitability. Dr. Ma’s IFT Technical Session #44 is Monday, July 14 at 11:50 am in room S403-AB.
Cognis’ Featured Products at IFT
• LAMEQUICK®-- As a whipping agent used in ready-to-eat mousses, it provides basic functionality for aerated products such as desserts, decorating or cake filling creams, and frozen desserts.
• XANGOLD® Natural Lutein Esters—This is the only source of lutein to complete the FDA’s GRAS notification process. Compelling research supports its role in eye health. Approved applications include baked goods, frozen dairy desserts, processed fruit, vegetable products, egg products, cereals and fats and oils.
• VEGAPURE® Vegetable Sterol Esters— Meets the requirements of the FDA approved health claim for sterol esters and reduced risk of coronary heart disease: 21CFR101.83. VEGAPURE® is GRAS for vegetable oil spreads, salad dressings, bars, mayonnaise, and white bread products.
• TONALIN® Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)—Clinical studies indicate that TONALIN® CLA helps reduce body fat while maintaining lean body mass. It is the No.1 selling brand of CLA worldwide.
• COVITOL® Natural Source Vitamin E—Backed by well-documented research, this powerful antioxidant has been shown to protect against free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases. It is GRAS for a broad range of applications including baked goods, meat and poultry.
• COVI-OX® Natural Mixed Tocopherols—These natural vitamin E ingredients protect foods against oxidation without altering flavor or odor. COVI-OX® is GRAS for applications including baked goods, meat, and poultry, and is acceptable for use in organic products.
• DELIOS® Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT’s)—These vegetable-based oils are a concentrated energy source for infant formula, sports nutrition and other functional food applications.
Cognis (www.cognis.com) is a worldwide supplier of innovative specialty chemicals and nutritional ingredients with almost 9,000 employees in close to 50 countries. The company has dedicated its activities to a high level of sustainability and delivers natural-source raw materials and ingredients for food, nutrition and healthcare markets, and the cosmetics, detergents and cleaners industries. Additionally, Cognis provides solutions for a number of other industries, such as coatings and inks, lubricants, textiles and plastics, as well as agriculture and mining.
Cognis is owned by private equity funds advised by Permira, GS Capital Partners, and Schroder Ventures Life Sciences. In 2002, Cognis recorded sales of 3.1 billion euros and an operating profit before depreciation, amortization and exceptional items (EBITDA recurring) of 393 million euros. A turnover of 748.6 million euros was achieved in the first three months of 2003.
Cognis Nutrition & Health, a business unit of Cognis Group, provides antioxidant, botanical and nature-based ingredients for dietary supplements; pharmaceuticals and healthcare; functional foods and medical nutrition; and animal nutrition. As a leader in food technology, Cognis manufactures emulsifiers, emulsifier-based compounds, and numerous other specialty products for the food industry worldwide.