Over half (52 percent) of supplement users are concerned about their heart health and 73 percent express an interest in natural, clinically proven solutions for cholesterol reduction, according to market research conducted by Micropharma Limited, a pioneer in the development of innovative and effective probiotics.
People are looking for naturally sourced supplements that work naturally with the body’s systems for balance and control, said Mitchell Jones, MD, PhD, chief scientific officer and cofounder of Micropharma. We are launching a probiotic supplement, Cardioviva™ in the coming months that will offer a safe and natural addition to a heart healthy diet and lifestyle for those consumers who want a natural solution.
Dr. Jones will present new clinical results about Cardioviva (Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242) at an oral presentation entitled Probiotics for Heart Health: Next Generation of Adjunct Therapies for Lipid Management, at the American Heart Association (AHA) Scientific Sessions on Nov. 5, 2012, in Los Angeles. The association expects more than 20,000 scientists and health care professionals from more than 110 countries to attend the Scientific Sessions. It is the largest gathering devoted to the science of cardiovascular disease and stroke and the care of patients suffering from these diseases. Results of the research will be available following the presentation.
Highlights from the survey, conducted among 677 supplement users in the United States in May 2012, follow:
Heart health is very important among supplement users, and they understand there is a connection between gut health and heart health.
· Heart health is a bigger concern than digestive health. Roughly half (52 percent) are concerned about heart health relative to just over one third (40 percent) who express concern over digestive health.
· Nearly all (91 percent) understand and believe that diet is related to heart health, agreeing that the health of their heart can be directly affected by what they eat.
· Seventy-five percent agree that their overall health is affected by the health of their digestive system and 76 percent agree that the health of their digestive system affects the health of their heart.
Supplement users are looking specifically for a better, more holistic long-term solution to high cholesterol and promoting heart health.
· Three-fourths (75 percent) of supplement users would prefer a more natural way to lower cholesterol.
· Seventy-three percent wish there was a clinically proven way to reduce cholesterol that is not a prescription drug.
· More than two-thirds (67 percent) of supplement users say they worry about the side effects of taking prescription drugs to treat cholesterol.
Probiotic supplement users understand different strains of probiotics confer different benefits and that these benefits extend beyond improved regularity.
· Seventy-seven percent agree that probiotics deliver a dose of good bacteria to your body.
· Sixty percent have used probiotics, either in the form of a food with active live cultures, a probiotic food, or supplement.
· Over two thirds (69 percent) of probiotic users agree that different active cultures provide different types of health benefits, and nearly three out of four (73 percent) probiotic users agree that active cultures do more for them than improve digestion.
Emerging science is evaluating whether the microbiome, and gut bacteria specifically, can play a role in health and certain chronic diseases such as heart disease. Probiotics (live healthy bacteria that confer a health benefit to the host) are being studied to determine if they may have a role in improving specific health markers to maintain and improve health and wellness through the gut.
About Micropharma Limited
Micropharma Limited, a pioneer in the development of innovative and effective probiotics, is launching a portfolio of natural supplements and food ingredient solutions aimed at addressing specific health markers to help maintain and improve health and wellness. Micropharma is specifically focused on products that address the healthy and natural metabolic balance and functioning of the microbiome, its resulting impact in the body and improving human health. For more information, visit micropharma.net or mycardioviva.com.