New Hope Network is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Tate & Lyle buys leading South African ingredients company Dolcré Food Ingredients (Pty) Ltd.

Global renewable ingredients company Tate & Lyle has bought leading South African food ingredients company Dolcré. The acquisition brings together the strengths of a global brand and a strong heritage in ingredient manufacturing with the local expertise of an ingredient solutions company in South Africa. Dolcré will begin a re-branding process to change its name to Tate & Lyle South Africa, and will trade under the Tate & Lyle brand.

Dolcré has been buying ingredients and delivering tailor-made food systems to the South African market for the last eight years. The largest importer of fructose and sole distributor of SPLENDA(R) Sucralose in South Africa, Dolcré has gone from strength to strength since it was founded in 1996 as a food ingredient distributor. Dolcré's ingredient portfolio also includes modified starches, sweeteners, pectins, maltodextrins, fat replacers, flavours and nutraceuticals.

Building on these distribution skills, Dolcré has utilised in-house technological expertise to package blends and ingredient solutions for large and medium sized companies, including several multinationals. Supported by in-house R&D laboratories and technical teams, Dolcré assists with product formulation and new product development.

Tate & Lyle bought a 20% stake in Dolcré in 1998. Recognizing Dolcré's strong performance and collaborative approach to customers as having an excellent fit with Tate & Lyle's food ingredient solutions business, the Group recently bought the remaining 80% stake. Net assets acquired totalled £1.4 million.

"Dolcré's approach to working in partnership was an ideal fit with Tate & Lyle's new customer-focused vision," said Stanley Musesengwa, Tate & Lyle's Chief Operating Officer. "We look forward to building on Dolcré's excellent reputation for customer service and bringing Tate & Lyle's ingredient expertise to the table. Tate & Lyle and Dolcré enjoy a unique fit, sharing the same customer base and having played an important part in each other's business in South Africa for some time."

Diederick Reid, Dolcré's Managing Director, now Managing Director, Tate & Lyle Food & Industrial Ingredients, South Africa welcomes the change: "We have worked with Tate & Lyle for some years now as customer and partner, and have a shared approach to offering customers ingredient solutions tailored to their specific needs. Tate & Lyle has a strong brand presence across the world and at Dolcré we are very proud to become part of Tate & Lyle."

The new identity will be rolled out over the next year.

About Tate & Lyle

Tate & Lyle is a world leader in renewable ingredients. Its core competence is
to take corn, wheat or sugar, and add value to these raw materials through
technology. As a result of continuous innovation it offers an ever-wider product
portfolio of versatile and functional ingredients. These products include Cereal
Sweeteners, Starches, Sugars, Citric Acid and SPLENDA(R) Sucralose. Tate & Lyle
products have wide applications in the food, beverage, pharmaceutical, cosmetic,
paper, packaging and building industries. With headquarters in London, Tate &
Lyle operates more than 41 plants and 20 additional production facilities in 28
countries, almost all in Europe and the Americas. It employs 6,700 people in its
subsidiaries with a further 4,800 employed in joint ventures. Sales in the year
to 31 March 2004 totalled £3,167 million. More details are available on this

SPLENDA(R) is a trademark of McNeil Nutritionals, LLC

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.