We get it—events and trade shows like Natural Products Expo have an impact on the environment. That's why, through our Sustainability Program, New Hope Network and Natural Products Expo are striving to identify, understand and address these impacts to achieve continual improvement year after year.
Working with Honeycomb Strategies, New Hope Network developed and implemented a sustainability program that aligns with two event sustainability standards, ISO 20121 and ASTM/APEX, with a focus on waste management, energy and water conservation, sustainable procurement and community engagement.
This year, Natural Products Expo West is also partnering with South Pole to offset the carbon footprint from staff travel and the impact at the convention center during the trade show. Carbon offsetting is a way to compensate for emissions by funding equivalent carbon dioxide savings in other parts of the world.
In addition, in partnership with White Wave, New Hope Network is offsetting the energy and water consumption of the venue and hotels through projects with the Bonneville Environmental Foundation. With our operations partner GES, we're also continuing to develop and refine a set of Sustainable Exhibitor Guidelines and more sustainable booth options for exhibitors, including recyclable signage, reusable banners and carpet made from recycled content.
Nearly half of the waste generated at Natural Products Expo East in September was diverted from the landfill via recycling, compost or donations. But we know there's opportunity to do more.
How you can help
A good place to start is to simply get a sense of our natural products community's impact as we gather in Anaheim.
Here are a few simple ways to contribute to a greener Natural Products Expo:
- Turn off the lights and TV when you leave your hotel room, and participate in your hotel's linen reuse program.
- Bring and use a refillable water bottle and coffee cup throughout the conference.
- Calculate and offset your own travel to Natural Products Expo West 2018. South Pole Group will have an app onsite to calculate your impact with the ability to offset.
- Share a Lyft or Uber with fellow expo-goers. Catch Your Spark electric cars and hotel shuttles can also provide group transportation. Or, enjoy the California sunshine and walk.
- Exhibiting? Choose a SmartWay-certified hauler at no additional cost to ensure your transportation company is practicing sustainable shipping.
- Exhibitors should avoid foam-core signs as they cannot be recycled. Instead, request recyclable material such as cardboard.
- Break down and properly recycle cardboard boxes, and adhere to the color-coded waste bins (clear=recycling, green=compost, black=trash).