This year, New Hope Network replaced its Hall of Legends Awards with the first Community Purpose and Impact Awards, which recognize people and organizations working to move the natural products industry forward.
New Hope Network's Content Marketing Director Fran Schoenwetter presented the awards on March 10 at Natural Products Expo West. This year, the Justice Award was presented to two organizations for significant accomplishments in the areas of food justice, climate justice or healthy food access.
Ibraheem Basir, founder of A Dozen Cousins, accepted the award on behalf of Project Potluck. The goal of Project Potluck is to help people of color build successful companies and career in the consumer packaged goods industry.
"It’s important that the people who are building these businesses, who are running these businesses, look like the people who ultimately want to use (those products)," Bashir says in the interview.
The other organization honored with the Justice Award was (included), a membership collective for BIPOC top executives in CPG who are dedicated to amplifying the voices of people of color, as well as the brands they own, in the natural products industry. (Watch the Included video here.)
In addition to the Justice Award, individuals, activists, businesses and organizations are eligible for these honors:
- Ecosystem Award—For meaningful action to improve, connect or align the purpose-driven natural products industry ecosystem.
- Health Award—Received by Dr. Tieraona Low Dog for meaningful accomplishments in the areas of human health or nutrition.
- Justice Award—For significant accomplishments in the areas of food justice, climate justice or healthy food access.
- Joy Award—For purposeful efforts to bring more joy to the natural products ecosystem or to consumers.
- Regeneration and Sustainability Award—For consequential activity related to regenerative agriculture, stewardship, sustainability or regenerative business.
- Prosperity Award—Presented to Mid-Day Squares for achieving success while not losing sight of integrity or while being accomplished in the areas of health, joy, justice, sustainability or purpose.