“The reality is, by our [UNPA] estimates, 60-80% of the ingredients that end up in dietary supplements on the shelves of our stores come from China...it’s the Wild West out there, folks.”
— Frank Lampe, VP, Communications & Industry Relations, UNPA
- Transparency in the supply chain is critical to improving finished product quality.
- USP, NSF and eurofins are GMP certifications that represent the gold standard for dietary supplement quality.
- Signed in 2011, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) is a preventative vs. reactionary measure; it affects every single product on retail shelves.
- Every manufacturer has to develop a food safety plan for every single product they manufacture, which results in lots of paperwork, auditing and testing.
- Foreign Supplier Verification Programs (FSVP) enforcement should increase as time goes on.
This session—The Supplement Round Table: Three Questions to Ask About Supplement Ingredients—was recorded at Natural Products Expo East 2018. Click 'download' below to access the presentation slides.