(December 20, 2007) — The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is accepting nominations for the 2008 AHPA Awards. These annual awards acknowledge individuals and organizations who make substantive, positive contributions to the herbal products industry. The nomination deadline is Monday, January 14, 2008.
The AHPA Awards will be presented at the annual AHPA Member Breakfast Meeting on March 13, 2008, in Anaheim, California. Inaugurated in 2006, they recognize the efforts of active and committed volunteers who help AHPA to fulfill its mission, the companies or organizations that raise the bar for the industry as a whole, and those who are working to advance our understanding of botanicals.
The award categories are:
· Herbal Hero — Individuals who make outstanding contributions to AHPA committees or initiatives. Nominees must be employed by an AHPA member company.
· Herbal Industry Leader — Companies that set an example of outstanding business practices or organizations that work to move the industry forward above and beyond normal business practices. Nominees must be members of AHPA.
· Herbal Insight Award — Individuals or non-commercial organizations that have a significant impact on furthering knowledge and understanding of botanicals and their uses. Nominees need not be associated with an AHPA member company.
Previous AHPA Awards honorees are:
- Beth Lambert (Herbalist & Alchemist) — 2007 AHPA Hero
- Staci Eisner (PlusPharma, Inc., and Botanica Bioscience) — 2006 AHPA Herbal Hero
- Traditional Medicinals — 2007 AHPA Herbal Industry Leader
- Nature’s Way Products, Inc. — 2006 AHPA Herbal Industry Leader
- Joseph Betz, PhD (Office of Dietary Supplements) — 2007 AHPA Herbal Insight Award
- Norman R. Farnsworth, PhD (University of Illinois at Chicago) — 2006 AHPA Herbal Research Award
Nominations must be made by AHPA members, using the online form (http://www.ahpa.org/Portals/0/pdfs/08_AHPAawardNomination.pdf).
Nominations must be made by an outside party, preferably with an objective perspective on how the candidate has stood out in the community.
The nomination deadline is Monday, January 14, 2008.
The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is the only national trade association devoted to herbal issues. Representing the core of the botanical trade—comprised of the finest growers, processors, manufacturers and marketers of herbal products—our mission is to promote the responsible commerce of herbal products. AHPA committees generate self-regulations to ensure the highest level of quality with respect to the way herbal products are manufactured, labeled, and sold. Celebrating our 25th anniversary in 2007! Website: www.ahpa.org.