Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti Makes 6 manicotti
The tasty filling in this recipe can also be used to make stuffed shells or lasagna. If you can't find manicotti tubes at the store, you can also spread the filling on cooked lasagna noodles, roll them up jellyroll fashion, and set them side by side in a baking pan for "lasagna roll-ups." Minestrone soup, a tossed green salad and fresh Italian bread make ideal accompaniments to this dish.
Prep Time: 30 minutes or less
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
6 manicotti tubes, cooked according to package instructions
1 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed (chopped broccoli can be substituted)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
16 ounces firm tofu
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt, if desired
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups bottled, seasoned tomato sauce
Nondairy Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain spinach and squeeze out remaining water. Set aside.
2. In a large skillet, sautè olive oil, onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onions are transparent and liquid from mushrooms has evaporated.
3. Add spinach to onion mixture and sautè over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix together tofu, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mash well with a potato masher or fork.
5. Add contents of skillet to tofu mixture. Mix well, using your hands if necessary to combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Oil a medium-sized, rectangular baking pan or decorative casserole dish. Spoon 1/2 to 3/4 cup tomato sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Spread evenly.
7. Fill manicotti tubes with tofu mixture.
8. Place manicotti side by side in baking dish and cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle lightly with nondairy Parmesan cheese.
9. Cover pan loosely with aluminum foil; bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
10. Allow manicotti to cool for approximately 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.