Consumer interest in green cosmetics as well as natural and organic food and beverage will continue to grow in 2009, says Organic Monitor, a U.K. business research and consulting firm, and Fair Trade products and those made sustainably are also trending upwards. Retailers wanting to appeal to this growing demographic in Canada will be heading to Expo West, Apr. 1-5, www.chfa.ca, the largest trade event for the natural and organics industry in Western Canada for the natural and organics industry.
Expo West, produced by the Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA), has over 450 exhibiting companies displaying the newest and most innovative products in the areas of natural and organic food and beverage, natural cosmetics, vitamins and minerals, herbal supplements, traditional medicines, homeopathics, sports nutrition and natural and organic clothing and home furnishings.
Just some of the new products at Expo West that correlate to the trends forecasted by Organic Monitor include:
· Moisturizers containing essential rose oil which acts as a natural collagen; a made-in-Canada line of mineral make-up
Natural & Organic Ingredients
· Organic dark chocolate bar with 70 per cent cocoa and 4,000mg of Maca, used by native Peruvians to improve energy, fertility and sexual function; snack bars combining eight servings of organic vegetables and fruit; and, sparkling beverage with the healing powers of hibiscus
· Whole grain and flax seed crispy snacks; organic teas in mousseline bags; and, an organic coconut milk frozen dessert
Fair Trade Products
· Handmade loofahs by a group of 15 pioneering women in a small community in Paraguay, South America
Soy & Functional Foods
· Fortified soy beverage in new flavours; culinary entrées featuring meat alternatives
· Tree kits; eco cookies where proceeds support green education groups
Expo West is organized by the Canadian Health Food Association, the largest trade association in the country for the natural and organic products industry. A trade-only event, Expo West takes place at the Vancouver Convention & Exhibition Centre, www.vcec.ca, and offers an educational conference (Apr. 1-3) and trade show (Apr. 4-5). CHFA is celebrating 45 years this year.
*** Trends at Expo West are available in the New Product Trends Report, available at no-cost to media upon request. ***
About Canadian Health Food Association:
The Canadian Health Food Association, www.chfa.ca, is the largest organization dedicated to the natural and organic products industry in Canada. The association represents growers, manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, distributors, and importers of natural and organic products, including foods, vitamin and mineral supplements, herbal products, homeopathics, sports nutrition products, fibres and health and beauty aids.