1. Use medium-high grill heat.
2. Cut foods into uniform pieces, typically 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
3. Look for reusable skewers or those made from sustainable, compostable bamboo; soak in water for 30 minutes to 2 hours to make them less prone to burn.
4. When threading, leave a little space between meats and other foods so that meats cook completely.
5. Group foods with similar grill times together (see charts at deliciousliving.com/july11); or make single-item kabobs to ensure even cooking.
6. Space kabobs on the grill 1 to 2 inches apart. If using wooden skewers, turn only once to prevent breakage.
7. Plan on two 10-inch skewers per person.