I hope you’re enjoying this time of year. I find this lull between the hectic activity of the holidays and the energetic beginning of a New Year to be a natural and much-needed time for rest, renewal, and revitalization of body, mind, and spirit.
For me, my mind naturally focuses on the coming year and more specifically on family, dear friends and colleagues, past holidays, and my hopes and dreams for the future. This includes my vision for ABC for 2012. I get excited about the possibilities the New Year brings and think about how ABC can advance our unique nonprofit educational mission in new ways, enhance ABC’s current services and benefits, overcome obstacles, and, in general, improve ABC.
As we look forward to beginning the New Year, it seems the there is little to no limit on achieving these possibilities. And truthfully, the only real obstacles are resources. Yes, our herbal community will continue to face attacks — usually undeserved, sometimes warranted — from a frequently misinformed media, misguided but well-meaning governmental agencies, and/or often undereducated healthcare professionals. But, together we can make certain that the continually emerging science reinforcing the benefits of herbs and other beneficial botanicals is heard both in the U.S. and around the world.
In 2012, with your help, ABC will focus its energy, staff, and educational and research resources to do the following:
- Provide reliable educational resources to help people make informed and affordable choices about their health and how to preserve it;
- Expand the resources available to the herbal community to help improve the quality of products reaching the consumer, particularly through our two newest projects on educational solvents and botanical adulterants;
- Reach new audiences by disseminating reliable, science-based, peer-reviewed information using every medium at our disposal – print, television, radio, web, and, in early 2012, with a new ABC blog on our website;
- Train upcoming pharmacy and dietetic practitionerson how to include herbs and dietary supplements into their practices – and this year they’ll be guided by a Naturopathic Physician who is also a licensed acupuncturist;
- Continue energetically educating the mediaand responding to erroneous and/or misleading articles on herbs and other plant-containing dietary supplements; and
- Provide guidance and support in any way appropriate to those working to expand the role of beneficial plants in safe, natural self-care and healthcare.
So here’s looking forward to 2012, when ABC will enter its 25th year. We’re looking forward to this landmark year and to the opportunity to reach new milestones (ex: publishing our 5,000th HerbClip!)
As always, we are keenly aware at this time of year that every accomplishment of ABC is a shared victory made possible only by the level of support we receive from people like you – plus a dedicated staff, vigilant board members, and committed volunteers.
So, if you have the resources, please consider supporting ABC during this giving season. Together we are doing important work helping to promote a healthier planet filled with healthier people.
Even if you aren’t in a position to give generously, please know how much we appreciate your interest in and support of ABC at whatever level you can provide. Having you as a partner in our efforts to promote responsible use of beneficial plants in self-care and healthcare makes a world of difference in how we achieve this essential educational mission.
My wish for the New Year is that yours be filled with blessings, happiness, accomplishments, and, of course, great health. Thank you for all you do for ABC!
Founder & Executive Director