Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/265f97/global_sugar_swe) has announced the addition of the "Global Sugar & Sweeteners Market Report - 2010 Edition" report to their offering.
Sweeteners are of two forms, calorific sweeteners and no or low calorie sweeteners. Calorific sweeteners like sugar, honey and high fructose corn syrup provide calories and low calorie sweeteners also known as high intensity sweeteners, do not provide calories and are many times sweet as compared to sugar. High intensity sweeteners (HIS) can be natural or artificial. Natural HIS include stevia sweeteners, Luo han guo and Glycyrrhizin and some commonly used artificial low calorie sweeteners include aspartame, saccharin and sucralose.
Sugar has been the most widely used sweetener in the world, with its closest substitute being high fructose corn syrup (or HFCS). Although presently, the share of low calorie sweeteners is not that much significant in the global sweeteners market, but it is expected to rise in the coming years, due to the increasing cases of obesity, diabetes and growing health concern among the people. Also, among all the types of low calorie sweeteners, the demand of natural sweeteners like stevia is on a high.
The decline in the worldwide sugar production in 2008/2009 due to the decreased sugar acreage and weather related problems in many regions, impacted the consumption pattern as well as prices of sugar in the whole world. Sugar prices soared during the same period, since the production could not meet the overall demand. Brazil is the leading worldwide producer of sugar, followed by India.
The US is the largest market for high intensity sweeteners, followed by Europe. Although the use of high intensity sweeteners is considered to be safe, but the regulatory bodies have defined limits on the actual safe consumption, known as ADI or Acceptable Daily Intake, which represents intake level of sweeteners per day. Food and beverages industry accounts for the maximum use of low calorie sweeteners. Apart from being used in the food and beverages industry, the low calorie sweeteners are being used in many other industries also, including pharmaceutical, personal care and animal feed.
Apart from analyzing the global sugar and sweeteners market worldwide, the current report also presents the view of the market in the US, Brazil and China. The factors responsible for the future growth of sugar and sweeteners market as well as the prevailing trends have been analyzed. The report also profiles the three major players in the sweeteners market, including PureCircle, Tate & Lyle, and Danisco, along with their key strategies.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Sugar and Sweeteners - An Introduction
2. Global Sugar and Sweeteners Market
3. Global Sugar Market 3.1 Production and Consumption 3.2 Trade
4. High Intensity Sweeteners Market 4.1 Overview 4.2 Stevia-The Untapped Sweetener Market 4.3 Regulations in Usage Pattern
5. Regional Analysis of Sugar & Sweetener Market 5.1 The US 5.1.1 Overview 5.1.2 Calorific Sweeteners 5.1.3 Low-Calorie Sweeteners 5.2 Brazil 5.3 China
6. Market Drivers 6.1 Sugar or Calorific Sweetener 6.1.1 Increasing Population 6.1.2 Rising Income 6.2 High Intensity Sweeteners or Low Calorie Sweeteners 6.2.1 Increasing Diabetics Population 6.2.2 Rising Obesity Cases 6.2.3 Growing Health Concerns
7. Key Trends 7.1 Sugar Market 7.1.1 Sugar Prices Worldwide 7.1.2 Correlation to Ethanol Production
7.2 High Intensity Sweeteners or Low Calorie Sweeteners 7.2.1 Increasing Urbanization
8. Company Profiles 8.1 PureCircle
8.2 Tate & Lyle 8.3 Danisco